This Open Call represents a unique opportunity for one NI Artist/Maker to undertake the following:
- 1-week residency at The Wallace Collection London in early 2020 (by arrangement and in conjunction with Anthea McWilliams at R-Space Gallery and the staff of The Wallace Collection – see www.wallacecollection.org)
- A solo exhibition at R-Space in May / June 2020 celebrating the life and collection of Sir Richard Wallace 1818-1890. Together with an artist fee, the costs will include travel & accommodation, materials and participatory activities which will be agreed prior to contract.
Aims / Objectives:
- To provide the opportunity for a Northern Irish artist/maker to work with new approaches and techniques in response to the paintings and decorative art objects collected from around the world by Sir Richard Wallace and his predecessors, the third and fourth Marquesses of Hertford.
- To facilitate responses to the Wallace Collection and produce new commissioned signature works of art plus a series of prototype objects* that may go into production to be exhibited at R-Space Gallery and be offered for sale through the Wallace Collection Shop.
- To celebrate and promote the creativity of a Northern Irish artist/maker and help place Lisburn (central to the former Hertford Estate in Co. Antrim), more firmly on the creative and cultural map.
Proposals are sought from established artists working in any media, who are based in Northern Ireland. Year 1 was extremely successful with artist Alison Lowry responding to the Wallace armoury through her own practice as a Glass Artist, and in Year 2 artist Vincent McDonnell exhibiting a set of ceramic bells which related to different elements in the Wallace collection.
See https://www.rspacelisburn.com/re-new-wallace-2/ for details of last year’s exhibition.
Deadline for submissions: Monday 2 December 2019 at 5pm
Exhibition Dates: 16 May - 12 June 2020
Applicants will be contacted regarding the success of their submission by Friday 6 December 2019.
Please send a one-page personal statement containing details of how you feel you are suited to this residency, and CV (no longer than one side of A4), along with 5 images of your work to Anthea McWilliams and Robert Martin via firstname.lastname@example.org, or deliver to 32 Castle Street, Lisburn, BT27 4XE.
*Commissioned works would remain the property of R-Space Gallery Lisburn